Friday, August 28, 2015

Sticks That Walk

I remember seeing walking sticks (also called stick bugs) when we lived in Missouri.  But I don't think I've seen one since I've lived in Kansas.  Yesterday Joshua told me he saw one at school the other day, which surprised me, since I didn't think we had them here, but I was pleased because I think they are super cool bugs.  But then today when I went to pick up the kids, they'd found two walking sticks in the back yard, one green and one brown.  So perhaps there's some sort of sudden infestation of them, or maybe it was just a coincidence.  Joshua had learned well and was quick to inform me that the stick bugs were very fragile and that we needed to be very careful with them, which I was glad to hear.  Benjamin didn't get the memo and attempted to smash one with a baseball, costing the bug one of his legs.  Julie was upset, but the good news is I later read that they can regenerate their legs, so the walking stick would be fine.

The girls were less interested in the walking sticks than the boys were, and they were happy to hang out with Grandpa for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. You should come over to our place. Stick bugs think our front porch is the best place ever

    ReplyDelete