Monday, August 24, 2015

First Day of School

Today the kids had their first day at their new school. Hannah is also starting this year, but this school requires that a child be 3 before they come so she will start in October.

It was a really hard decision on whether to switch schools or not, but in the end I thought this was the best environment for Joshua and he's older so I decided to switch. Our new school is a nature preschool which means they spend a large portion of each day outside and the focus is on natural learning and not as much on traditional academics. I really feel this is appropriate for any preschooler, but especially Joshua who is not really excited about worksheets or letter of the week.

Joshua was immediately excited to be there, but Clara was less sure. She wanted her old teachers and her friend Teagan. Unfortuntely she would not be in their classes this year regardless, but hopefully she adjusts to her new environment soon. Next year Joshua will no longer be in preschool so I will be making our preschool decision based mostly on her needs, so if I don't feel she is thriving here, I would be open to moving somewhere else.
However,I think she will adjust and make new friends and be happy. There is a lot to like about this school. One of things I really like is it's just a single multi-age classroom, which not only do I generally think is ideal, but I also love that all my kids can be in the same class. And I also love it because I can easily teach letters and numbers at home. But I don't love catching bugs personally and I don't have a bug microscope or an outdoor kitchen for mudplay or logs to build things outside, so this school provides a lot of resources I don't have. I'm looking forward to this year and seeing what the kids learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment