Monday, August 3, 2015

Doing Research

We have a toy laptop that we've had for a long time.  Every now and then the kids will like to play with it, as you can press different buttons that have different pictures on them, and they light up and make sounds and whatever.  Joshua always wants to know more about the world around him, especially nature, so lately he's been asking questions about things that I'm not always able to answer.  Like what do grasshoppers eat?  That's a good question.  What do they eat, besides farmers' crops?  Grass?  Leaves?  Probably something along those lines, but I'd like to be able to give him a better answer, and I'm almost always curious myself after he asks me a question, if I don't already know the answer.  So I will look up answers on my phone, or else on my laptop if I'm using it.  It's the beauty of the modern technology era and the internet.  There's essentially all of the world's information right at our fingertips, literally.  So anyway, recently Joshua has applied this to his toy laptop.  Today he sat down with it and said, "Hmm.  I'm going to find out all about phones, like you and Mama have." He then proceeded to rapidly and randomly press all the buttons in a typing motion, and then stopped and declared, as if reporting his finding, "They have games on them."  The few games I have on my phone are definitely the thing he cares about most on it, so his findings are not surprising.  He'll also say "Hmm.  I'm going to find out all about songs". Or even "Hmm.  I'm going to find out all about being naked".  Uh oh.  I hope that laptop has the kid-safe search on it!  Someday he'll be old enough to look up things on his own when he's older and has a device that's actually connected to the internet, but that day is not today, so for now he'll have to keep pretending to be a researcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment