Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Sunsets and Sushi

Usually I do pictures in chronological order for a post, but I'll make an exception in this case, because this picture just needs to be at the top. I'll probably never take a more perfect picture of nature. This could be on a postcard or mounted on a wall or something. I'm not giving myself credit, because God did all the work.  I just grabbed my camera and captured an image of it.

The actual first picture of the day is this one. I don't normally eat breakfast at home, but on vacation I almost always do. I also don't normally have coffee on a daily basis at home, but since we're in Maui, I'm pretty sure the right plan is to get up and have breakfast and coffee on the lanai while enjoying the ocean.  So that's what I did every day in our condo.

This was the view from our second floor lanai during the day and the sandy beach just to the right out the back door of our condo.

Here you can see how the waves crashed up against the rocky shore just on the other side of the retaining wall, and then how the waves lapped against the sandy beach just a few yards further down.

When we first got to the condo, Meghan spied something black crawling on the wall and was a little grossed out and wary of it. I was pretty sure it was a crab, even though I'd never seen a black crab before.  But sure enough, if you go look on the rocks on the other side of the retaining wall, they are everywhere.  In fact, I thought I was taking a picture of one here, but later when I looked at the picture and zoomed in, there are four of them.  I think the normal orange crabs are cute little guys, but these are not.  Maybe it's the black shells, but they look sinister and like giant bugs who may also be poisonous alien lifeforms or something.  Fortunately there's nothing to worry about, as they are total scaredy cats.  If you get within about six feet of them, they will scurry away and hide under a rock.  So no death by creepy killer black crab, but also no tasty dinner either.

As the sun set, the aqua color of the water was replaced by a shiny dark blue that reflecting the sun beautifully.


I barely remembered to stop taking pictures of the ocean and to actually take a picture of us as we sat on the lanai enjoying the setting sun.


For dinner, we decided on sushi.  After the sun had set, I drove to a nearby sushi restaurant to get takeout.  It looked really good, despite how terrible it looks in this picture, and tasted great.  We enjoyed sushi and wine on our lanai in the Hawaiian night while listening to the ocean.  What an amazing trip it's been,

No comments:

Post a Comment