Friday, April 3, 2015

Resurrection Eggs

This past Christmas was the second time we have done our advent calendar. I am really happy with it and I pretty much combined several ideals to customize something that was exactly what I wanted. This year, I wanted to do something similar for Lent. However, it's much harder. Partly because I didn't know exactly what I wanted. But also because Easter itself is tough. Firstly, it isn't a very kid-friendly story. Christmas is all "Babies! Cute!". Much of the Easter story is about pain, suffering, betrayal, and death. But since the story ends with the empty tomb and is the complete cornerstone of our faith and lives, it's still a really important one to tell. The second problem with Easter, which is actually probably somewhat a result of the first issue, is that there isn't a lot of material out there for young kids. I originally envisioned something that would last the 40 days of Lent. However, I just didn't find anything I loved for the ages of my kids. Thirdly, plenty of nominally religious people do advent activities or calendars so there are a plethora of ideas for Christmas, but for Easter not nearly as many people do anything whatsoever in the days leading up to the holiday, so there is just a much smaller pool of ideas. So I decided to just keep things simple. I knew for sure that I wanted to do Resurrection Eggs for the last 12 days of Lent. So I decided we would start there this year and I would mull over what I would like to add to them for next year.

Resurrection eggs are a set of 12 plastic Easter eggs that each have an item in them related to the Easter story and you talk about one daily. The last egg is empty, just like the tomb. There are a lot of tutorials on how to make them online, but I just bought a set. I felt like by the time I accumulated all the little things to put in the eggs, I would have spent almost as much money and way more time. And this set came with a devotional too, which was really nice to have. I think this went really well and will work for us for quite a few years. The kids were pretty excited about all the objects and liked the stories. I feel like Joshua definitely got a lot out of it and understood the Easter story as much as a four year old can. The girls less so just because of their age. I am definitely glad we did it and I look forward to making it more my own in future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment