Saturday, March 14, 2015

Super Pi Day

Pi Day is something that those of us who embrace such nerdy things have celebrated for years.  But in the past few years, it's come into the mainstream.  This year, it really broke through, and almost everyone heard about it, thanks in large part to social media.  This year was extra special, because in addition to March 14th (3/14) matching the first three digits of the approximation of pi (3.14), the year allowed it to continue.  And when you add in the time, you can end up with 3/14/15 9:26:53 which matches the first 10 digits: 3.1415926535.  This won't happen again for 100 years, so it's a special day.  As I mentioned last year, my grandpa is the one who, among many other things, inspired my interest in pi.  Now that he and Grandma live here, I wanted to take advantage of that by celebrating this special day with him.  So this afternoon I took Joshua with me, and we bought a pie and took it over to their house so we could eat pie together on Super Pi Day.  We enjoyed the pie and got to spend the afternoon together, which was really nice.

One of our core family traditions is to celebrate holidays, and because Meghan is awesome, she includes Pi Day among them.  She made us a key lime pie, and I decorated it with a unintentionally sloppy pi symbol.  The pie was fantastic, as it's probably my favorite one that Meghan makes, which is saying something.  We love Pi Day, and it was fun to have this one be an extra special one, for several different reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment