Monday, March 23, 2015

Our Little British Girl

About a month ago, we noticed that sometimes when Clara would ask questions, she would do so with a British intonation.  Not necessarily a British accent, but a British intonation.  This is hard to describe, but the best way I can describe it is the change in intonation within a single syllable of a single word.  The British intonation (or at least in some cases, for all I know this is not consistent across the language) often will have the pitch of the voice slide from high to low on the same syllable.  Like Clara might say, "Mama, can we have a snack", but it'll sound like "Mama, can we have a sna-ack" but with the "sna" a higher pitch before dropping to a lower pitch for the "ack".  I pulled up a Peppa Pig (A British children's show) episode on YouTube to try to find an example, and in this clip you can hear this character say "Don't go inside."  Notice how he says "side".  He does the pitch-shift thing from high to low.  That's what Clara has been doing.  She doesn't always do it, but usually several times a day.  We have no idea how this happened.  Our best guess is that it is, in fact, from Peppa Pig.  Although, that doesn't seem terribly likely, because we don't have that on our DVR at our house, so they only see it at Mom and Ron's, so it's not like she's exposed to it that much.  But maybe it's just enough to stick in her mind.  The first time I heard it, I said to Meghan, "Wait...  Did I just hear her say that with a British intonation?"  and Meghan said, "Yeah, that's what I heard too."  It's pretty cute, but we've noticed recently that she's doing it with less frequency, so it's probably a short phase that will totally fade away soon, so I wanted to make sure we were able to capture this funny little phase in our blog.  Because I can't have a picture of an intonation, I took the opportunity to just take some cute pictures of our little Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment