Saturday, February 28, 2015

A Snow Day Instead of a Date Day

We got some snow this morning, so while I took Clara to soccer this morning, Joshua and Hannah got to go play outside in the snow for a little bit. As usual, Hannah was very interested, and was excited to be dressed up in her snow gear. But once she was outside, she didn't want to stay out for very long.  Joshua immediately went to work on shoveling the deck.

When I got back from soccer, we had lunch, and then I went out with all the kids to play in the snow again. Soon, though, it was Hannah's naptime, and because Joshua had dumped a shovelful of snow on her head, he had to come inside too. Clara and I stayed out for some extra time. We originally had a date day scheduled for today, but we canceled it because of the weather. We will make that up later, but it still worked out that she and I had some special time by ourselves.  She had lots of fun shoveling and also getting pushed on the swings.

She also enjoyed using the wheelbarrow to randomly wander around the yard pretending to cart snow to different places.
From the time Terrence and Natalie were puppies, Terrence hated the cold and wanted no part of it, but Natalie didn't mind it so much.  In fact, when it snowed, she would sometimes run around in the snow for fun.  Sometimes when I shoveled the driveway, I would invite her out with me, and she would happily dart around in the snow for awhile before eventually tiring and then going back in.  Now that she's old, she's not as interested in physical activity, but occasionally she'll show bursts of energy.  I wondered if she would still enjoy it, so when she came out in the yard with us, I walked up to her and said, "Natalie, are you ready to run?" just like I used to.  She seemed interested, as I think she remembered the drill.  I said, "Ready...  Go!  Run, Natalie!  Run!" and I took off running.  She immediately got excited and took off with me, and then went off on her own bounding around the yard like an energized little puppy.  She ran around for a couple minutes, as happy as can be, before getting tired.  She ran up to me and nuzzled up to my legs as if to thank me, and I petted her for a bit, before she then went back inside to rest and to get warm.  That was fun, and I'll have to remember to do that again when it snows next, because she really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment