Sunday, January 18, 2015

A Wild Idea for a Date Night Activity

Sometimes things happen in life that just stun you because they're so unexpected.  For example, one day in 2012 Meghan told me she was pregnant.  Last year the Royals somehow went to the World Series.  And this weekend Meghan told me she wanted to go see a movie.  I like seeing movies in theaters, but Meghan is not a fan.  I think this makes her mildly un-American, but I love her anyway despite this severe character flaw.  We have gone to movies in the past.  When we were dating, and especially in our first summer together when we were just friends, I asked her to go to the movies sometimes, and she agreed because, as she later told me, she didn't know me well enough to feel good about declining.  But since we've been married, we have gone a few sporadic times, but it just hasn't happened often.  I'm okay with this, as I do go see movies with my friends a couple times a year, so if there's something I really want to see, I have a way to do so.  One time a survey company called our house and wanted to know how many movies I'd seen in the theater in the past year.  I told him one, because that was it.  He seemed taken aback, and then stumbled to say, "Uh, well is there another adult in your house who has been more often?"  I almost laughed thinking about how Meghan was the other adult and how she sees even fewer than I do.  I told him no, and he said, "Really?!  Uh, well, okay.  Thanks for your time."  It was like he didn't even know what to do with my answers.  But we do go occasionally, mostly because I suggest it every now and then, and every now and then among the times I suggest it, Meghan will agree.  So in the past five years we've seen, unless I'm missing one, four movies together: True Grit, Horrible Bosses, Safe House, and Hope Springs, apparently on two Valentine's Days and two anniversary celebrations (I've now noted this pattern of the times when she's more susceptible and may exploit it in the future!).  But this weekend she suggested for our date night that we go see a movie before dinner.  I was floored, but excited.  Knowing what she likes in movies, I went through the descriptions of movies that are now out to try to guess, and when I saw it, I knew for sure it was the one she wanted to see.  So we saw Wild tonight, which has Reese Witherspoon and Laura Dern and is based on the book and true story of a woman who hiked a thousand-mile trail by herself.  That sounds lame, but the movie was better than it sounds.  We both liked it, though I would have seen any movie she suggested if it meant we got to go together.  The popcorn was terrible for some reason though, but we went out to eat afterward at Jose Pepper's, which was really good, so that made up for it.  And then we went to Twister's for the best frozen custard in the world.  So we had a great evening, even if it was an unconventional one for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment