Thursday, July 9, 2015

The Importance of Elevating and Icing

Last week I injured my leg, as I had a ruptured popliteal cyst., essentially resulting in a very swollen and very painful calf.  I had a sonogram, which made sense, since my calf felt like it was about to give birth to a baby.  The sonogram showed I had a ruptured cyst and not a blood clot, so that was good.  Since then I've been on some anti-swelling medication, and I've elevated, iced, and wrapped by lep to help with the swelling.  It's better, but not a lot better.  Today I was elevating my leg, and while Hannah was walking in the kitchen, she tripped over Joshua's foot and hit her forehead on a drawer handle on the way down.  She cried really hard, and I held her for comfort and inspected her forehead.  It didn't quite break the skin, but looked pretty bad, so I got her an ice pack, and we sat together on the couch, icing our wounds.

The kids have taken notice of my leg elevating and icing, and they have apparently determined that it is the optimal means of healing leg injuries.  The all get tons of minor injuries all the times, small scrapes, bumps, bruises, etc., because that's what happens when you're a kid.  Joshua got a small scrape on his leg and got the cold monkey and immediately put a couple pillows on the couch and rested his leg on the pillow, just like Dad did.  Similarly for Clara, she had a bug bite or bump or something and got the cold monkey and elevated her leg too.

No comments:

Post a Comment