Saturday, July 18, 2015

My Yard Pays the Price for Technology

AT&T (well, technically one of their subcontractors) recently dug up some areas in the back of our yard as part of their effort to roll out GigaPower to our neighborhood, which is their answer to Google Fiber.  They are actually rolling it out faster than Google is rolling out Google Fiber, which is probably frustrating to Google since they were the first to get publicity for their 1 Gigabit fiber-to-the-home plan.  There are other smaller vendors who have it too, like Consolidated Communications (not the catchiest name) and others.  Anyway, after they finished doing the work in our yard, they sodded the spots.  Unfortunately, they sodded them while we were in Florida, so by the time we got back, it was all dead.  I tried to revive it, but to no avail.  Totally dead.  I called and complained, because I had specifically asked them to tell me ahead of time when they were going to do the sod, but they hadn't.  They then came out and seeded and netted (there's probably a real term for that, but I don't know what it is) the same spots, except they missed one and still didn't cover all the torn-up area on the biggest spot.  I called and complained again, and they said they would come out on Monday to take a look.  These guys seem incompetent.  Anyway, in the meantime, I am watering the seeded areas every day.  I went out tonight right before bedtime to do it, and the kids wanted to join me.  They were in three states of dressed-for bed:  Not started (Joshua), in progress (Hannah), and completed (Clara).  They were really excited to help me water the grass, so I let them have the hose, and as a committee, they wrangled the hose and somewhat watered some spots.  Joshua had noticed I used my finger to partially block the hose opening to get a better spray (I know, I should just buy one of those sprayers that does it for you), so he wanted to try it too, bringing him much delight when he then sprayed it everywhere.  So I'll (or somebody will, anyway) keep watering this and hope it takes.  The company promised that if I wasn't happy with it by the fall, they would re-sod he whole thing when it wasn't so hot, so at least I have that as a fall-back plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment