Tuesday, December 8, 2015

My Little Night Owl

I'm a natural night owl.  I'm super busy and always have a a million things to do, so it's not as if I could easily go to bed early every night and sleep a full night, but even if I could, I wouldn't, because that doesn't fit with my circadian rhythms.  I will find something to do in those late night hours that is either productive (almost every post I do for this blog is done during that time) or occasionally relaxing (it's the only time I get to watch TV uninterrupted).  All the kids have bedtime at the same time at this point, and Hannah will almost always go to sleep immediately.  Joshua will sometimes stay up and play in his room for a bit, and sometimes will go right to sleep.  But pretty much every night without fail, Clara will stay up for awhile.  Sometimes it's a half hour, sometimes it's an hour, sometimes it's more.  Sometimes she'll play (which is part of the cause of her disastrous room), and sometimes she'll read, and often she'll do both.  Tonight after the kids had been in bed for awhile, I peeked in her room to see this.  She was sitting there, upright, in bed, reading a book, slowly flipping through the pages.  The interesting part about this was that she wasn't really reading, because, well, she doesn't know how to read.  Also, the book was actually upside-down too, so I'm pretty sure it's not like she secretly knows how to read and just hasn't told us.  But she enjoys winding down her evening one way or another, even if it's pretending or imagining reading a book

No comments:

Post a Comment