Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day: Kids, a Bike Ride, and Great Food

Today is Father's Day.  After church, we did cards and gifts.  From the kids, I got some very cool cards.  From Joshua, Meghan made a booklet with photos of the two of us, drawings from Joshua (his drawing of my looks like an adorable spider; presumably it was my hair and my legs that made up the appendages), and some responses to questions.  Among them:
Q: What does Daddy do at work?
A: "Important work.  He gets money to buy food for us."  Yes. Yes, I do.

Q: How old is Daddy?
A: "4?  I'm not sure."  Sometimes I'm not sure either.

Q: What is Daddy's Name?
A: "Daddy.  Just Daddy."  Works for me.

Q: Why does Mama love Daddy?
A: "She thinks he's cool."  I'll take it.

But my favorite one was this one:
Q: What is your favorite thing to do with Daddy?
A: "Run with him.  Have him pick me up when I'm scared.  He loves me even when I make bad choices."  I was really glad to read this, because this is something that we talk about a lot.  Meghan and I love him unconditionally, and it's important for him to know that.  So when he makes bad choices, there are sometimes punishments, but I will usually tell him that even though he made a bad choice, I still love him.  So I was really glad to see him mention that in his response to this question.

Here are the cards from the kids.  Clara's had similar questions and answers which were also cute and amusing.  One of her best ones was, when asked how tall I am, she said I am as tall as the refrigerator, which is really pretty darn accurate. Meghan said she tried the same thing with Hannah, but all of her answers were "I don't know", so she just got a regular card from her.

Last year on Father's Day, my bike was still pretty new, and I decided to use my free time during the kids' nap time to go on a bike ride.  I did the Gary L. Haller trail along Mill Creek Streamway.  Last year I turned around at a certain point, though I don't remember the total mileage for my ride.  This year I was determined to go farther, and I did, as I passed my turnaround point last year and kept going awhile longer before turning around.  I ended up biking a total of 22 miles today, which I think is pretty good.  I went up to the 3.5-mile marker.  My goal is to at some point make it all the way to the end (0-mile marker) and then come back, but I don't have too many chances to go ride by myself for a couple hours, so I'm not sure when that will be.  But it was a really great ride.  It was fun and relaxing.  For dinner, Meghan made us seared sea scallops with smoky sweet corn puree.  It was amazing.  It's one of the best meals she makes, and that's saying something.  So I had a wonderful day, with great food, special time with my children, and some fun free time for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment