Saturday, January 17, 2015

Meeting Michael at the KCDC

Meghan had the kids essentially the entire time I was in LA, so I wanted to give her some time to herself today, so I took the kids to the Kansas Children's Discovery Center in Topeka.  I'd previously only been there with Joshua and Hannah, and we didn't have time to see all the different things.  This time, for example, we did several things that I didn't even notice last time (maybe they weren't there, but I probably just didn't see them) such as the coin funnel thing and the "Flo-Graphix" room, as well as the car.  All three were hits, though only Joshua cared about the car, but he was really excited to do all the maintenance on it.  Hopefully that holds, and once he has his own car as a teenager, he takes great care of it, but probably not, because, well, he'll be a teenager.  We did spend a lot of time at the vertical wind tunnel again, as Hannah really really wanted to catch one of the scarves (you put them in at the bottom, and then they spin around and upward eventually come out the open top and then slowly fall to the ground), but she wasn't willing to move around, so she could only catch one if it fell right into her outstretched arms (and if Joshua didn't snatch it first).

We then went outside to ride the bikes.  My friend Michael had planned to join us along with his daughter, but she couldn't make it at the last minute, so he came anyway since he hadn't met my kids.

The girls mostly stayed on the bikes, but Joshua was excited to see the different things, such as the Music Garden and a climbable rock formation.


During his exploration, I heard him yell over to me "Dad, I found a bird!".  I had assumed it was some toy or decoration or something, but then I look over to see him holding this guy in both hands and showing it to my like it was a trophy.  This guy who is neither a toy nor a decoration, but instead is an actual previously-alive but now very dead bird.  I disposed of him and then went with Joshua so we could immediately wash our hands.

After we were done at the KCDC, we met up with Michael's wife Becca and his daughter Bristolynn for lunch at Blue Moose before our crew headed back to Olathe after a fun day.

No comments:

Post a Comment